GToogle+Timeline

Wednesday 14 March 2012

A day outing at Pontcysyllte Aqueduct,Llangollen, Wrexham

On 6th March 2012, Just woke up and my husband asked me whether want to go for a photos walk. I am crazy happy about it and so went to google search for nice place to go and not too far away from my home. Found this place Pontcysyllte Aqueduct in Llangollen, Wrexham, North Wales. Unfortunately, unable to get the postcode but known from the google map that it will take us about 1 hour and 48 minutes to reach the destination. My husband prepared each a mug of tea and coffee to bring along and packed some sandwiches along with us.  Also make a phone call to my friends whether they want to comes along but due to her daughter at school and finished at 12.30 p.m. so they can join us in this trip.



When we reached Pontcysyllte Aqueduct. We ignored the car park of the Aqueduct and follow a narrow road drive straight ahead then comes  a split junction. We were directed to turn right was our destination. Instead we decided to turn left which lead to a  private road where all the posh farm houses. About 100 yards we came across this secret hideaway,  a beautiful spot which only use for private fishing but it was closed and the gate was locked. We climbed over the locked gate without permission and stayed at here for about 1 hour enjoying ourselves taking beautiful photos. It was so beautiful with clear blue sky and the amazing reflections on the water. I had no idea what this secret hideaway is named.  Nothing is mentioned in google search and neither in any of the websites. 



We were having a good time snapping off our cameras so it is time for us to pack up and go to look for the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct. 



We turned back to the junction where we came upon before and drove all the way up about 800 yards there are lot of houses opposite a boat yard. We parked our car here which is free of charge and started our walk by following the boat yard where boats for rental and per boat is £25.00 per day to cruise around the canal. This path way lead to the Aqueduct. The Aqueduct taking the Llangollen Canal over the River Dee Valley. It is 1,000 feet long and 125 feet high.






This 200 year old Aqueduct has been crowned as one heritage sites as "wonder" of the world. The structure built by Thomas Telford and William Jessop. One of the highest and longest Aqueduct in Britain. Crossing in a narrowboat it makes you feel like suspended in mid-air. The iron trough sit on about a foot above the water level, is unprotected on one side  where there  is nothing but 125 feet of air to the valley floor below.



Walking across the Aqueduct on the towpath is mercifully protected by a set of railings. This narrow towpath can only walk 2 person side by side. There are a few walking tracks to walk along the canal to the River Dee Valley. 



At the River Dee, lot of people enjoy fishing in these river. If anyone of you recognised the person in the next photo please inform them that they are able to get their photos from my blogger. I took a few photos for a group of youngsters but without a pen so can't let them have my website to get their photos as promised to them.




This was a happiest day which I ever had been. Due to something bad happened on my birthday and it ruin my day. Thanks to my children having a day with me to celebrate dinner with the family together in Manchester and the next day this surprised trip. I give a wow factor to this place and if you want to pay a visit to this Aqueduct please make a trip to this secret hideaway which is too beautiful for me to describe it. I have made another surprised visit to this secret hideaway again so there will be more coming from my next blogging.

2 comments:

  1. Hello there,
    Glad to see that you enjoyed your trip to the Aqueduct at Pontcysyllte. I'm from there, and am currently away from home at university...your pictures are great, and it makes me want to go back home! By the way, the secret hide away place you referred to is known as 'the bont'...im not sure why! I'd recommend you visiting Llangollen if you do go back again, which you can walk to on the canal. It takes you to the source of the canal which feeds the water to it from the river Dee at the 'horseshoe falls'. Hope you get to go back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steffan,
    I will make another trip to this place again as I have not seen all of the beautiful places in North Wales yet. I have been to the River Dee but unfortunately, we can't find the horseshoe fall's. Thanks for your recommendation and will visit Llangollen again soon.

    ReplyDelete